Despite CA student daytime classes being cancelled due to a snowstorm, alumni and alumni parents braved the weather on February 7, 2019 to return to school in the evening. Instead of English, calculus, or history, their sessions, offered by CA alumni and alumni parents, allowed them to be hands-on creative, sing with Cindy Jordan, and just have FUN!
Before classes commenced, participants enjoyed a light dinner in the Campus Center, followed by a glimpse of the new Athletic Center which had just opened the day before. Dr. Mike Davis proudly showed off not only the expanded and renovated competition gym, but the state-of-the-art climbing wall and fitness facilities. Then it was on to class in a variety of venues, from Knowles Hall to Schotters Music Center and the Campus Center Kitchen.
Alumni and parent “students” had selected up to two classes to attend from the offerings which included:
- Beyond Ken Burns: Dr. Mike Davis posed questions, and 1967 alumni vets Jim Guggenheim and Jack Leebron discussed their experiences before, during, and after the Vietnam War.
- Scotch Tasting: a discriminating tour of Scotland’s island distilleries with former teacher/ alumni parent Charles Coleman and alumni parent Bill Elder.
- Revisit Choir: Last chance to sing under the direction of Choral Director Cindy Jordan.
- In the Moment: a captivating illustrated lecture of photography principles from National Geographic photographer and alumni parent Jay Dickman.
- The Art of Flowers: Jenni Hohensee Skeen ’97 from Perfect Petal led participants through creation of a floral arrangement they got to take home afterwards.
- Gourmet Cooking: personal chef Pippa Gile Taylor ’05 presented a lesson on how to prepare pan-seared diver scallops and pancetta roasted brussels sprouts with green apple salad and beurre blanc. No leftovers allowed!
CA’s mission includes fostering lifelong learning. Plan to join in next year when Alumni Back-To-School Night comes around. We’re planning new classes to pique your interest!