There is not a week that passes that I don’t refer to, and not a day goes by that I don’t think about our mission at Colorado Academy and whether we are living and living up to what it says.
So, you won’t be surprised to know that I have long wanted a simple, memorable, and memorize-able, say-it-standing-on-one-foot mission statement. The one we have now was crafted over a dozen years ago with the same goal and intent, but with less attention to how easily it rolls off the tongue.
As we approached our three-year reaccreditation process beginning this past year, we saw the intensive self-reflection that comes with this exercise as the right opportunity to look at the wording of our statement.
To that end, we have spent the past year seeking parent input in surveys, hosting LISTEN Tours in various places around the city, working in different faculty and trustee sessions, meeting with alumni and Parent Association committee representatives to gather key words and test multiple drafts.
Almost as important as the statement itself is the inclusive process by which the school arrives at the final wording reflected in the mission statement. So, it is time to circle back to the community for your feedback. In the second year of our study in 2019-2020, we will complete curriculum reviews and review every aspect of our internal operation. This accompanying mission statement exercise both informs and validates other steps we are taking as part of self-study.
I hope to gather community feedback, make any necessary revisions, and ask our Board of Trustees to ratify this document next fall. Our community would then see this reflected on campus, in all of our materials and publications, and on our electronic platforms.
Though it does not change what we do as educators, nor the passion and dedication with which we approach our work, it does, however, in just nine words say who we are, what we do, and what we aspire to. I invite your feedback. Please just email me directly with your thoughts, and we will continue to keep you posted on our progress.
Colorado Academy: kind, curious, and adventurous learners and leaders
- We foster courageous learning: All students explore new challenges in academics, athletics, the arts, and experiential education.
- We nurture curiosity as the foundation of lifelong, creative discovery.
- We choose kindness to engage graciously in an inclusive, joyful community.
- We encourage understanding: We listen to others and act with integrity, compassion, and respect.
- We promote habits of health, resilience, and confidence.
- We believe in being dynamic to respond to the needs of an ever-changing world.
- We inspire thoughtful individuals who are ready to transform the future.