Coached by JT Putt, CA’s Baseball crew was once again one of the top programs in the 3A Division. Putt and his staff, arguably one of the strongest coaching teams in the state, put together an outstanding team.
Seniors Graham Osman, Ari Fierer, and Emmett Ela led the way for the CA nine. The team became Regional Champions by besting Bennett High School at their own field, with fantastic pitching from Osman on the mound and Fierer catching behind the plate. The team lost in the State Championship competition to the eventual champion, University High School, but showed great effort and resilience.
Named to the 2019 Metro League Baseball All-Conference Team were Seniors Emmett Ela, Ari Fierer, and Sophomore Aaron Rice (First Team), Sophomore Charlie Westfall and Freshman Ben Greenberg (Honorable Mention). Graham Osman was named one of the All-Conference Pitchers and 2019 Senior of the Year.
Randy Colley, Head of Boys Lacrosse, was masterful in coaching the CA Varsity Team to a top 10 finish in 5A Lacrosse. The CA team forced the eventual state champion, Cherry Creek High School, to work extremely hard to get by the Mustangs in the State Tournament.
Seniors Mac Behrhorst, Conner Brook, and Michael Colpack were instrumental in the program’s success, which also boasted strong, impactful numbers in the Freshman class. The hard work and “team first” attitude will benefit the boys as they step towards an even more successful campaign in 2020.
Brook and Colpack were selected to play in the Froelicher-Toll All-Star Game, which concludes the High School season. Other South Suburban League All-Conference honors include:
- First Team: Senior Conner Brook, Junior Paul Chandler, Senior Michael Colpack, and Junior Jake Donaldson-Reid
- Second Team: Senior Jackson Briggs, Senior Tucker Ezrine, Senior Andrew Jeffries, Junior Nate Kay, and Senior Jack Oberg
- Honorable Mention: Senior Mac Behrhorst and Senior Carter Coatsworth
Boys Swim and Dive State Championships
Competing on a joint CA-Mullen High School team, CA boys outperformed all expectations at the 2019 CHSAA 4A Boys Swim & Dive State Championship. Five CA-Mullen team members qualified for individual events, and each scored points in the final session, earning Mullen Fourth Place in the 4A State competition.
Individual performances for the three CA competitors included season-best times and the following finishes:
- Senior Ben Freeman finished Third in the 200 Freestyle (1:41.98) and Fifth in the 100 Freestyle (47.06). Freeman set a new Mullen school record in the 200 Freestyle.
- Junior Charlie Baker finished Ninth in the 100 Backstroke (54.60) and Fourteenth in the 200 Freestyle (1:49.96).
- Junior Cameron Smooke finished Ninth in the 200 Freestyle (1:48.26) and Sixteenth in the 100 Butterfly (54.27).
- The 4 x 50 Freestyle Relay, including Freeman and Smooke, placed Second (1:27.30) and set a new Mullen school record (breaking the previous one set in 1999).
- The 4 x 100 Freestyle Relay, including Baker, Freeman, and Smooke, also placed Second (3:10.84).
State Track and Field Championships
Senior Monika Williams ran track for Denver Christian this year and will run track for Howard University next year. She competed in the Colorado State Track and Field Championships, posting outstanding results in the 2A Division:
- 100-Meter Hurdles, Second Place, time: 15.60 (personal record)
- 300-Meter Hurdles, Second Place, time: 45.03
- 400 Meters, Second Place, time: 57.61 (personal record)
- 800 Meters, Second Place, time: 2:20.45 (personal record)
Also competing at the State Track and Field Championships were CA Seniors Jane Doherty and Claire Anderson; Juniors CJ Romine, Jonathan Fossel, and Caroline Briggs; and Sophomores Reeve Mitchell, Zoe Fierer, and Catherine O’Halloran.
- Claire Anderson placed Eleventh in the 1600 Meters and Fifteenth in the 3200 Meters.
- Jane Doherty placed Tenth in the 1600 meters.
- Jonathan Fossel placed Tenth in the 4 x 800 Meter Relay and Eighteenth in the 3200 Meters.
- CJ Romine placed Tenth in the 1600 Meters, Tenth in the 4 x 800 Meter Relay, and earned Fifth Place in the 800 Meters.
- Reeve Mitchell, Zoe Fierer, Caroline Briggs, and Catherine O’Halloran placed Eighteenth in the 4 x 400 Meter Relay and Eighteenth in the Sprint Medley Relay.
Seniors Story Wolf-Tinsman, Alex Ford, and Mharie Brigham provided tremendous leadership and a positive attitude during the season. Head of CA Girls Tennis Bob Ulrich and his staff were focused on improvement and competing daily. Their efforts resulted in the girls tying for Fourth Place at the State Tournament out of 29 teams competing.
All-Metro League Second Team honors went to Senior players, Alex Ford/Lauren Preston (#1 Doubles) and Story Wolf-Tinsman (#3 Singles).
A number of veterans return in 2020, and the team is looking forward to an influx of new talent to create competition in practice and fits for opponents. “With a focus on the team and an attitude of pushing each other, we have the opportunity to be special next spring,” says Ulrich. “Keep an eye on this team!”